CNET in Turmoil After Greg Sandoval Quits Over Editorial Interference

The week started off with a bang today with the resignation of reporter Greg Sandoval from CNET over allegations of editorial interference by corporate parent CBS. I’m not shocked, on either point.

“Sad to report that I’ve resigned from CNET. I no longer have confidence that CBS is committed to editorial independence,” Greg tweeted this morning. “CNET wasn’t honest about what occurred regarding Dish is unacceptable to me. We are supposed to be truth tellers.”

So, what happened that caused him to so dramatically and publicly quit? CNET Reviews editors had voted to name Dish Network’s Hopper HD DVR the “Best of CES” last week. Before the award was announced, CBS executives told them they couldn’t give the award to Hopper because of litigation the two companies are in the middle of and to choose another winner instead. CNET announced that the Hopper was taken out of the running, but it didn’t come out until later through leaks that it had actually won the award at first. Then CBS announced a new policy – that CNET would not review any products from companies that CBS is in active litigation with. CNET staff was horrified and it cast a pall over CES, the largest event for the company all year.

Apparently, CBS is worried that CNET reviews and the award could be used to undermine its litigation with Dish Network. The Hopper digital video recorder lets you automatically skip commercials in primetime TV on CBS and other major networks. The CBS lawsuit claims the feature infringes the copyrights of broadcasters.

CNET Reviews Editor-in-Chief Lindsey Turrentine wrote in a blog post today that she and other editors fought to keep Hopper the winner. “We were in “an impossible situation as journalists. The conflict of interest was real — a legal case can impact the bottom line of our company and introduce the possibility of bias — but the circumstances demanded more transparency and not hurried policy.” She goes on: “I could have quit right then. Maybe I should have. I decided that the best thing for my team was to get through the day as best we could and to fight the fight from the other side. Every single member of the CNET Reviews team is a dedicated, ethical, passionate technology critic. If I abandoned them now, I would be abandoning the ship.”

After Greg’s resignation CBS issued this statement: “CBS has nothing but the highest regard for the editors and writers at CNET, and has managed that business with respect as part of its CBS Interactive division since it was acquired in 2008. This has been an isolated and unique incident in which a product that has been challenged as illegal, was removed from consideration for an award. The product in question is not only the subject of a lawsuit between Dish and CBS, but between Dish and nearly every other major media company as well. CBS has been consistent on this situation from the beginning, and, in terms of covering actual news, CNET maintains 100% editorial independence, and always will.  We look forward to the site building on its reputation of good journalism in the years to come.”

I’m sure that statement is prompting groans around the CNET newsroom. CBS’ policy seriously hinders the ability of CNET journalists to do their jobs and will affect the company’s credibility. No doubt. Reviewers will find popular products off the table if one or the other side has filed even a frivolous lawsuit against the other. CNET Reviews is the first place many people check before making purchases. If products just aren’t included because of something so capricious as a lawsuit that severely reduces the value of the reviews site. This will affect brand perception and readers are already leaving, according to their comments on the site. And it makes you wonder how involved CBS corporate is with its other brands, like 60 Minutes.

Meanwhile, up until Greg quit, there had been no explanation from CNET about what happened, despite the uproar. And that may be all that is said on the matter. The newsroom will have to sit on its hands too and not cover this as a story because CBS execs are very selective in what news about CBS its own journalists can cover. In essence, the journalism at CNET is being compromised because CBS executives are so pissed about the Hopper threatening their revenue model. No journalist wants to work in that environment. As if morale weren’t already low, Greg’s quitting is a one-two blow for the close-knit newsroom.

I worked at CNET for seven years as a senior writer, before quitting to become director of content and media strategy at Bateman Group three months ago. I was burnt out from covering breaking news for 22 years and left because I wanted a change of career. I loved working at CNET, mostly because of the people and the strong sense of comradery. Some of my closest friends work there and Greg is like a brother to me. He’s also one of the best reporters in the industry. I called him the “scoop-meister.” He is relentless in going after a story. And he has an extraordinarily strong sense of justice and integrity. I know he will land at a job where he will be happy and thrive. And that place will be lucky to have him.

This isn’t the first time that the editorial integrity of CNET has been questioned and led to resignations. Three Gamespot editors (Gamespot is owned by CNET) resigned after the dismissal of popular editor Jeff Gerstmann in 2007 before CBS bought CNET. Gerstmann had given a less-than-stellar rating to a game from Eidos Interactive, which had been a big advertiser for the site. CNET executives claimed the dismissal was not related to the review, but they didn’t give a reason citing state law and corporate policy on disclosures about personnel departures. The newsroom was similarly outraged about that incident, and reporters were told not to write about it.

My heart goes out to my buddies at CNET. I know there is a lot of soul searching going on there right now. And it’s a sad day for the beleaguered journalism industry, in general. It’s a reminder of the dangers when the wall between editorial and corporate gets breached.

32 Comments »

  1. benjitek says:

    This event has let the general public know that CNET is pretty much a source for ‘press-release-news’ when it comes to tech stuff.

    A shame, though fortunately there remains a pool of smaller independent non-biases tech sites out there — hopefully they’ll benefit as the general public migrates away from CNET as a primary source of non-filter tech news…

  2. Angry Voter says:

    It sure looks like CNET is pay for play now just like the Atlantic!

  3. Saba says:

    Hmmm. Angry Voter ?

  4. 3 calculator says:

    Hi there, I found your site via Google at the same time as looking for a related subject, your
    site got here up, it appears to be like good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply changed into alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. A lot of other people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

  5. Wow, amazing weblog structure! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging glance easy. The full look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content material!

  6. I have an excited analytical eyesight with regard to details and
    may anticipate problems prior to they happen.

    my webpage discolor
    discoloration
    discolorations
    discolored
    discoloring
    discolors
    discomfit
    discomfited
    discomfiting
    discomfits
    discomfiture
    discomfitures
    discomfort
    discomforts
    disconcert
    disconcerted
    disconcerting
    disconcerts
    disconnect
    disconnected
    disconnecting
    disconnects
    disconsolate
    discontent
    discontented
    discontents
    discontinuance
    discontinuances
    discontinuation
    discontinue
    discontinued
    discontinues
    discontinuing
    discord
    discordant
    discorded
    discording
    discords
    discos
    discount
    discounted
    discounting
    discounts
    discourage
    discouraged
    discouragement
    discouragements
    discourages
    discouraging
    discourteous
    discourteously
    discourtesies
    discourtesy
    discover
    discovered
    discoverer
    discoverers
    discoveries
    discovering
    discovers
    discovery
    discredit
    discreditable
    discredited
    discrediting
    discredits
    discreet
    discreeter
    discreetest
    discreetly
    discrepancies
    discrepancy
    discrete
    discretion
    discretionary
    discretions
    discriminate
    discriminated
    discriminates
    discriminating
    discrimination
    discriminations
    discriminatory
    discrown
    discrowned
    discrowning
    discrowns
    discs
    discursive
    discursiveness
    discursivenesses
    discus
    discuses
    discuss
    discussed
    discusses
    discussing
    discussion
    discussions
    disdain
    disdained
    disdainful
    disdainfully
    disdaining
    disdains
    disease
    diseased
    diseases
    diseasing
    disembark
    disembarkation
    disembarkations
    disembarked
    disembarking
    disembarks
    disembodied
    disenchant
    disenchanted
    disenchanting
    disenchantment
    disenchantments
    disenchants
    disendow
    disendowed
    disendowing
    disendows
    disentangle
    disentangled
    disentangles
    disentangling
    diseuse
    diseuses
    disfavor
    disfavored
    disfavoring
    disfavors
    disfigure
    disfigured
    disfigurement
    disfigurements
    disfigures
    disfiguring
    disfranchise
    disfranchised
    disfranchisement
    disfranchisements
    disfranchises
    disfranchising
    disfrock
    disfrocked
    disfrocking
    disfrocks
    disgorge
    disgorged
    disgorges
    disgorging
    disgrace
    disgraced
    disgraceful
    disgracefully
    disgraces
    disgracing
    disguise
    disguised
    disguises
    disguising
    disgust
    disgusted
    disgustedly
    disgusting
    disgustingly
    disgusts
    dish
    disharmonies
    disharmonious
    disharmony
    dishcloth
    dishcloths
    dishearten
    disheartened
    disheartening
    disheartens
    dished
    dishelm
    dishelmed
    dishelming
    dishelms
    disherit
    disherited
    disheriting
    disherits
    dishes
    dishevel
    disheveled
    disheveling
    dishevelled
    dishevelling
    dishevels
    dishful
    dishfuls
    dishier
    dishiest
    dishing
    dishlike
    dishonest
    dishonesties
    dishonestly
    dishonesty
    dishonor
    dishonorable
    dishonorably
    dishonored
    dishonoring
    dishonors
    dishpan
    dishpans
    dishrag
    dishrags
    dishware
    dishwares
    dishwasher
    dishwashers
    dishwater
    dishwaters
    dishy
    disillusion
    disillusioned
    disillusioning
    disillusionment
    disillusionments
    disillusions
    disinclination
    disinclinations
    disincline
    disinclined
    disinclines
    disinclining
    disinfect
    disinfectant
    disinfectants
    disinfected
    disinfecting
    disinfection
    disinfections
    disinfects
    disinherit
    disinherited
    disinheriting
    disinherits
    disintegrate
    disintegrated
    disintegrates
    disintegrating
    disintegration
    disintegrations
    disinter
    disinterested
    disinterestedness
    disinterestednesses
    disinterred
    disinterring
    disinters
    disject
    disjected
    disjecting
    disjects
    disjoin
    disjoined
    disjoining
    disjoins
    disjoint
    disjointed
    disjointing
    disjoints
    disjunct
    disjuncts
    disk
    disked
    disking
    disklike
    disks
    dislike
    disliked
    disliker
    dislikers
    dislikes
    disliking
    dislimn
    dislimned
    dislimning
    dislimns
    dislocate
    dislocated
    dislocates
    dislocating
    dislocation
    dislocations
    dislodge
    dislodged
    dislodges
    dislodging
    disloyal
    disloyalties
    disloyalty
    dismal
    dismaler
    dismalest
    dismally
    dismals
    dismantle
    dismantled
    dismantles
    dismantling
    dismast
    dismasted
    dismasting
    dismasts
    dismay
    dismayed
    dismaying
    dismays
    disme
    dismember
    dismembered
    dismembering
    dismemberment
    dismemberments
    dismembers
    dismes
    dismissal
    dismissals
    dismissed
    dismisses
    dismissing
    dismount
    dismounted
    dismounting
    dismounts
    disobedience
    disobediences
    disobedient
    disobey
    disobeyed
    disobeying
    disobeys
    disomic
    disorder
    disordered
    disordering
    disorderliness
    disorderlinesses
    disorderly
    disorders
    disorganization
    disorganizations
    disorganize
    disorganized
    disorganizes
    disorganizing
    disown
    disowned
    disowning
    disowns
    disparage
    disparaged
    disparagement
    disparagements
    disparages
    disparaging
    disparate
    disparities
    disparity
    dispart
    disparted
    disparting
    disparts
    dispassion
    dispassionate
    dispassions
    dispatch
    dispatched
    dispatcher
    dispatchers
    dispatches
    dispatching
    dispel
    dispelled
    dispelling
    dispels
    dispend
    dispended
    dispending
    dispends
    dispensable
    dispensaries
    dispensary
    dispensation
    dispensations
    dispense
    dispensed
    dispenser
    dispensers
    dispenses
    dispensing
    dispersal
    dispersals
    disperse
    dispersed
    disperses
    dispersing
    dispersion
    dispersions
    dispirit
    dispirited
    dispiriting
    dispirits
    displace
    displaced
    displacement
    displacements
    displaces
    displacing
    displant
    displanted
    displanting
    displants
    display
    displayed
    displaying
    displays
    displease
    displeased
    displeases
    displeasing
    displeasure
    displeasures
    displode
    disploded
    displodes
    disploding
    displume
    displumed
    displumes
    displuming
    disport
    disported
    disporting
    disports
    disposable
    disposal
    disposals
    dispose
    disposed
    disposer
    disposers
    disposes
    disposing
    disposition
    dispositions
    dispossess
    dispossessed
    dispossesses
    dispossessing
    dispossession
    dispossessions
    dispread
    dispreading
    dispreads
    disprize
    disprized
    disprizes
    disprizing
    disproof
    disproofs
    disproportion
    disproportionate
    disproportions
    disprove
    disproved
    disproves
    disproving
    disputable
    disputably
    disputation
    disputations
    dispute
    disputed
    disputer
    disputers
    disputes
    disputing
    disqualification
    disqualifications
    disqualified
    disqualifies
    disqualify
    disqualifying
    disquiet
    disquieted
    disquieting
    disquiets
    disrate
    disrated
    disrates
    disrating
    disregard
    disregarded
    disregarding
    disregards
    disrepair
    disrepairs
    disreputable
    disrepute
    disreputes
    disrespect
    disrespectful
    disrespects
    disrobe
    disrobed
    disrober
    disrobers
    disrobes
    disrobing
    disroot
    disrooted
    disrooting
    disroots
    disrupt
    disrupted
    disrupting
    disruption
    disruptions
    disruptive
    disrupts
    dissatisfaction
    dissatisfactions
    dissatisfies
    dissatisfy
    dissave
    dissaved
    dissaves
    dissaving
    disseat
    disseated
    disseating
    disseats
    dissect
    dissected
    dissecting
    dissection
    dissections
    dissects
    disseise
    disseised
    disseises
    disseising
    disseize
    disseized
    disseizes
    disseizing
    dissemble
    dissembled
    dissembler
    dissemblers
    dissembles
    dissembling
    disseminate
    disseminated
    disseminates
    disseminating
    dissemination
    dissent
    dissented
    dissenter
    dissenters
    dissentient
    dissentients
    dissenting
    dissention
    dissentions
    dissents
    dissert
    dissertation
    dissertations
    disserted
    disserting
    disserts
    disserve
    disserved
    disserves
    disservice
    disserving
    dissever
    dissevered
    dissevering
    dissevers
    dissidence
    dissidences
    dissident
    dissidents
    dissimilar
    dissimilarities
    dissimilarity
    dissipate
    dissipated
    dissipates
    dissipating
    dissipation
    dissipations
    dissociate
    dissociated
    dissociates
    dissociating
    dissociation
    dissociations
    dissolute
    dissolution
    dissolutions
    dissolve
    dissolved
    dissolves
    dissolving
    dissonance
    dissonances
    dissonant
    dissuade
    dissuaded
    dissuades
    dissuading
    dissuasion
    dissuasions
    distaff
    distaffs
    distain
    distained
    distaining
    distains
    distal
    distally
    distance
    distanced
    distances
    distancing
    distant
    distaste
    distasted
    distasteful
    distastes
    distasting
    distaves
    distemper
    distempers
    distend
    distended
    distending
    distends
    distension
    distensions
    distent
    distention
    distentions
    distich
    distichs
    distil
    distill
    distillate
    distillates
    distillation
    distillations
    distilled
    distiller
    distilleries
    distillers
    distillery
    distilling
    distills
    distils
    distinct
    distincter
    distinctest
    distinction
    distinctions
    distinctive
    distinctively
    distinctiveness
    distinctivenesses
    distinctly
    distinctness
    distinctnesses
    distinguish
    distinguishable
    distinguished
    distinguishes
    distinguishing
    distome
    distomes
    distort
    distorted
    distorting
    distortion
    distortions
    distorts
    distract
    distracted
    distracting
    distraction
    distractions
    distracts
    distrain
    distrained
    distraining
    distrains
    distrait
    distraught
    distress
    distressed
    distresses
    distressful
    distressing
    distribute
    distributed
    distributes
    distributing
    distribution
    distributions
    distributive
    distributor
    distributors
    district
    districted
    districting
    districts
    distrust
    distrusted
    distrustful
    distrusting
    distrusts
    disturb
    disturbance
    disturbances
    disturbed
    disturber
    disturbers
    disturbing
    disturbs
    disulfid
    disulfids
    disunion
    disunions
    disunite
    disunited
    disunites
    disunities
    disuniting
    disunity
    disuse
    disused
    disuses
    disusing
    disvalue
    disvalued
    disvalues
    disvaluing
    disyoke
    disyoked
    disyokes
    disyoking
    dit
    dita
    ditas
    ditch
    ditched
    ditcher
    ditchers
    ditches
    ditching
    dite
    dites
    ditheism
    ditheisms
    ditheist
    ditheists
    dither
    dithered
    dithering
    dithers
    dithery
    dithiol
    dits
    dittanies
    dittany
    ditties
    ditto
    dittoed
    dittoing
    dittos
    ditty
    diureses
    diuresis
    diuretic
    diuretics
    diurnal
    diurnals
    diuron
    diurons
    diva
    divagate
    divagated
    divagates
    divagating
    divalent
    divan
    divans
    divas
    dive
    dived
    diver
    diverge
    diverged
    divergence
    divergences
    divergent
    diverges
    diverging
    divers
    diverse
    diversification
    diversifications
    diversify
    diversion
    diversions
    diversities
    diversity
    divert
    diverted
    diverter
    diverters
    diverting
    diverts
    dives
    divest
    divested
    divesting
    divests
    divide
    divided
    dividend
    dividends
    divider
    dividers
    divides
    dividing
    dividual
    divination
    divinations
    divine
    divined
    divinely
    diviner
    diviners
    divines
    divinest
    diving
    divining
    divinise
    divinised
    divinises
    divinising
    divinities
    divinity
    divinize
    divinized
    divinizes
    divinizing
    divisibilities
    divisibility
    divisible
    division
    divisional
    divisions
    divisive
    divisor
    divisors
    divorce
    divorced
    divorcee
    divorcees
    divorcer
    divorcers
    divorces
    divorcing
    divot
    divots
    divulge
    divulged
    divulger
    divulgers
    divulges
    divulging
    divvied
    divvies
    divvy
    divvying
    diwan
    diwans
    dixit
    dixits
    dizen
    dizened
    dizening
    dizens
    dizygous
    dizzied
    dizzier
    dizzies
    dizziest
    dizzily
    dizziness
    dizzy
    dizzying
    djebel
    djebels
    djellaba
    djellabas
    djin
    djinn
    djinni
    djinns
    djinny
    djins
    do
    doable
    doat
    doated
    doating
    doats
    dobber
    dobbers
    dobbies
    dobbin
    dobbins
    dobby
    dobie
    dobies
    dobla
    doblas
    doblon
    doblones
    doblons
    dobra
    dobras
    dobson
    dobsons
    doby
    doc
    docent
    docents
    docetic
    docile
    docilely
    docilities
    docility
    dock
    dockage
    dockages
    docked
    docker
    dockers
    docket
    docketed
    docketing
    dockets
    dockhand
    dockhands
    docking
    dockland
    docklands
    docks
    dockside
    docksides
    dockworker
    dockworkers
    dockyard
    dockyards
    docs
    doctor
    doctoral
    doctored
    doctoring
    doctors
    doctrinal
    doctrine
    doctrines
    document
    documentaries
    documentary
    documentation
    documentations
    documented

  7. I just like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more right here frequently. I am somewhat sure I’ll learn many new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!

  8. certainly like your web site however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth on the other hand I will surely come again again.

  9. louis vuitton 札幌

  10. Ahmad says:

    This is helpful!

  11. In the Best Company category, Miele beat the previous
    year’s winner Google, which placed second, and also Porsche, which came in at third. I don’t
    know what I will do with all the extra time. This set is currently offered
    from HSN, also known as Home Shopping Network for a price of $149.

  12. Hi there, of course this post is in fact pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic
    of blogging. thanks.

  13. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to
    be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware
    of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just don’t know about.

    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out
    the whole thing without having side-effects ,
    people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks

    my page … goji actives mentira

  14. Etsuko says:

    Great post.

    Visit my web page web page (Etsuko)

  15. Terrific post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject?

    I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Many thanks!

    Here is my blog nitricmaxmusclereview.net

  16. After I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each
    time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that service?

    Thank you!

    My web-site :: supra cleanse pills

  17. I visit day-to-day some blogs and blogs to read articles, but this blog gives feature based posts.

    Here is my blog post; http://raspberryketonefreshpills.com

  18. Funny jokes says:

    They contain sayings which normally brings great smile on your face which
    would remain throughout the day. They bring laughs when someone’s going through a stressful time.

    At some point we began to wonder why our parents or friends
    had said something awful or funny about a person having to
    do with their being gay, Jewish, Black, Latino, Chinese or a member of some other identifiable social or ethnic category.

    my web page: Funny jokes

  19. Hi, all the timee i used to check blog posts here early in the
    dawn, because i enjoy to learn more and more.

  20. eroticised says:

    I know this if off topic but I’m looking
    into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost
    a pretty penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

    My page … eroticised

  21. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Kudos!

    my web blog :: ab coaster review

  22. Vous publiez sans cesse des articles fascinants

  23. Howdy terrific website! Does running a blog similar to this take a massive
    amount work? I have absolutely no expertise in programming however I
    had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyway, if you have any
    suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject nevertheless I simply needed to ask.
    Cheers!

  24. web site says:

    Excellent blog right here! Additionally your site a lot up very fast!

    What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink on your host?
    I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

  25. Right here is the perfect website for anybody who wishes to
    understand this topic. You know a whole lot its almost tough
    to argue with you (not that I personally would want
    to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has been discussed for years.
    Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

    Take a look at my web-site; Myrtle Beach Fishing Guides

  26. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment
    form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours
    and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

  27. Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your web site, how
    could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account aided me
    a applicable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent concept

  28. shopping says:

    You can order something that looks great online but looks completely different when you get it home.
    For many tourists, the store features to be on the “must-see-lists”.

    Service providers have created a number of ways to
    give you much ease when using your online shopping cart
    systems.

  29. Hello great blog! Does running a blog like this require a massive amount work?
    I have no knowledge of computer programming but I was hoping to start my own blog
    in the near future. Anyways, should you have any ideas or tips for new
    blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I simply had to ask.

    Many thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my blog post … vimax where to buy Spanx

  30. Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world all is available on web?

  31. Hello, this weekend is pleasant for me, since this occasion i am reading this wonderful educational paragraph here at my house.

Leave a Reply