3 Tips for Startups to Really Disrupt

Credit: Elinor Mills

Silicon Valley is rife with talk about disrupting technologies. Everyone claims to have one. Few really do. So it was interesting to hear the founders of several hot startups — Airbnb, Pebble, Dropcam and Expensify — reveal their secrets to shaking up existing markets and creating new ones during a panel on “Disrupt or be Disrupted” sponsored by the Churchill Club and recently held in Santa Clara, Calif.

A common theme to the success of each company was innovation that empowers people to adopt new behaviors or make existing behaviors incredibly easy and cheap. Based on panel discussion, here are three tips for successful disruption that I walked away with:

1. Look for new market opportunities in unlikely places, but enable trust

When hotels in San Francisco were sold out for a design conference in October 2007, two of the founders of Airbnb rented out an extra bedroom. They realized that there was a huge market opportunity to give people a way to make money off their spare bedrooms or empty apartments. Ninety percent of the inventory was never available before, according to Nathan Blecharczyk, CTO and co-founder. Now, the site hosts 400,000 properties and has four million guest users.

As good as the idea was, it wasn’t enough to just create the new marketplace. After a customer forgot to pay their host twice during an early trial of the service, the Airbnb founders realized they needed to step in, take payment up front and handle transactions themselves to eliminate the possibility of friction or misunderstanding over money. “Guests and hosts never anticipated that this (renting out space in their homes) was something they would want to do,” Blecharczyk said.

2. Be prepared to radically change your business model, think “services” and listen to user feedback

Both Pebble and Dropcam started out as hardware companies, but “pivoted” their business models to focus on services. Dropcam’s founders went from packing Wi-Fi-enabled video cameras into shipping boxes to running cloud servers that “take in more video than YouTube,” according to Greg Duffy, co-founder and CEO of Dropcam. The company is “bringing software and services to a category of what used to be just hardware” solutions, he added.

Another company that discovered services and user experience trump the device is Pebble, maker of a smart watch that talks to your smartphone via Bluetooth. The inspiration came to Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky when he wanted to see why his phone was vibrating in his pocket while riding his bicycle when he lived in Holland five years ago. Initially, the firm was a typical hardware startup and had produced three versions of the product, but hadn’t figured out the product market fit or captured much attention, he said. Then in April 2012, he decided to launch a Kickstarter project. “That launched our company from being a company that made watches in our garage to one making tens of thousands of watches we’ve shipped worldwide,” Migicovsky said. He used the Kickstarter page to create a community of 68,000 supporters, allowed them to provide user feedback. This approach “helped elevate us above the noise of creating a new hardware product to creating a platform.”

3. Make an everyday business action very affordable

Expensify isn’t in a particularly sexy space – processing of expense reports. But it does bring the economics of the digital world to a broad market that receives widespread complaints. “The way we disrupt our industry is not just by having a better product, but having a dramatically lower cost of sale,” said Expensify CEO David Barrett. “We have a business model that leverages the unique dynamics in our industry to change the rules of the game.” Timing was everything for the company — Expensify couldn’t have existed before smartphones had autofocus cameras and app stores. “It’s about being ready for the opportunity and jumping through the door when it opens.”

The founders also had other valuable suggestions for maintaining the culture of disruption as companies grow: 1) Use data to refine products, but not to innovate; 2) Give engineers space to work on skunk works projects; 3) Use your own product; and 4) Stimulate fresh ideas with new experiences. The last suggestion is one Expensify goes to extreme lengths to accomplish. The service’s international currency support is tested by the company’s own employees in a program that sends the whole company to work overseas for a month at a time. And Barrett said he finds that employees come up with their best ideas in unorthodox places, like a beach in Thailand. I hope that business management idea catches on.

46 Comments »

  1. my blog says:

    If you want to grow your experience simply keep visiting this web page and be updated with the newest news update posted here.

  2. Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided vibrant transparent concept

  3. Delbert says:

    Hi there, I desire to subscribe for this blog to
    obtain hottest updates, so where can i do it please help out.

  4. Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m inspired! Very useful information specially the last part :) I deal with such info much. I used to be looking for this particular information for a very lengthy time. Thank you and best of luck.

  5. I’ve learn some excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you set to create this type of great informative site.

  6. I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i’m satisfied to convey that I’ve a very just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much indisputably will make certain to don?t fail to remember this web site and give it a look on a constant basis.

  7. I usually do not create many responses, however after looking at through a bunch of remarks here 3 Tips for Startups to Really Disrupt.

    I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s okay.

    Is it simply me or do some of these responses appear like they are coming from brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
    Could you make a list of the complete urls of your social
    community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or
    linkedin profile?

  8. London wide Sound Testing provider. HIgh quality air and sound pressure testing.

  9. Angus says:

    Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it wwas
    super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still
    new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for novice blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

  10. Seriously, has anybody seen the truly great deals at Yucatan Dream Properties recently? I’m flying in a few days to close the deal on my beach house!

  11. I always used to read article in news papers but now as I am a
    user of net so from now I am using net for articles
    or reviews, thanks to web.

  12. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand so much about this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a few percent to force the message home a bit, however instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I’ll certainly be back.

  13. This post is invaluable. When can I find out more?

    My blog: blood pressure Solution

  14. Hey there, You’ve done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

  15. e liquid says:

    Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe
    you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into
    anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to
    your new updates.

    Feel free to visit my website :: e liquid

  16. Karine says:

    Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m looing to start my own bkog in the near future but I’m having a tough time making
    a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution aand Drupal.
    The reqson I ask is because your design and style seens different then most blogs and I’m looking
    for something completely unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had
    to ask!

    Also visit my web site; where can i buy where to buy dermarose
    anti aging cream (Karine)

  17. Cathryn says:

    Where do you turn if you opt to breakup your husband caused
    by his being hooked on Internet porn material. He becomes liberal visitation and after this your sons or daughters will be encountered with Internet adult but now absolutely from the guidance?

    This is a quite typical difficulty. You see your partner comes with an being addicted
    to porn as well as extreme fetish mature at that.
    You choose the complicated decision to get away from him these days
    he has unsupervised visitation while using minor children and you dread the children experience typically
    the perverted stuff.

    Feel free to visit my web site: brazzers username and password [Cathryn]

  18. Nice response in return of this query with solid
    arguments and describing all about that.

  19. shoes online says:

    Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff
    from. Many thanks for posting when you’ve got the
    opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this page.

  20. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across
    this board and I find It really useful & it
    helped me out much. I hope to give something back
    and help others like you aided me.

  21. The i – Player is most commonly used for TV viewing at roughly the
    same time of day as most linear TV viewing takes place (i.
    The only way to survive, let alone thrive, is to continuously reinvent and redefine.
    Substantially less than using coupons would
    it be allows you know if thez service supplied by
    this company is okay.

  22. Delmer Ureta says:

    I have to tell you that it’s hard to find your articles in google, i found
    this one on 14 spot, you should build some quality backlinks in order to rank your site, i know how
    to help you, just type in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

  23. Octavio says:

    Hi there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
    that go over the same subjects? Thanks!

  24. I think this is one of the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent :
    D. Good job, cheers

  25. The information contained here’s a summary of advice from health experts,
    sickness sufferers and alternative therapists.
    The final point here is that yyou want to feel great aand
    you want it now. Just must be woman is pregnant does not always mean that she wants tto put her life on hold.

    Look at my blog post health and Wellness center Warrington pa

  26. Eventually, the technology was licensed on the Tappan Stove Company, which took it and began to work at shedding pounds the model.
    Mathews repeatedly claims maybe it’s the combination of the two that are to
    blame. The study was published inside recent issue of British Journal Of
    Psychiatry.

  27. testing says:

    Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice
    from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to start.

    Do you have any tips or suggestions? With thanks

  28. Finlay says:

    This info is worth everyone’s attention. Where cann I finmd out more?

    Here is my page secret to dog training (Finlay)

  29. I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you have hit the
    nail on the head. The issue is something not
    enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this during my hunt for
    something concerning this.

  30. When some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she desires to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

  31. Thanks for finally talking about > 3 Tips for Startups to Really
    Disrupt < Liked it!

  32. What’s up, always i used to check webpage
    posts here early in the break of day, because i enjoy to gain
    knowledge of more and more.

  33. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am actually
    impressed to read all at one place.

    Look into my web page: guitar pro 6 crack

  34. Remarkable! Its really remarkable piece of writing, I have got much clear idea concerning from this paragraph.

  35. link says:

    I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

  36. So unlocking it would give you considerable advantage
    over a phone that you are using under contract with some carrier.

    ) It has only gotten more difficult to compare between the carriers.
    Instead, you can simply switch the SIM card in the phone and use the local GSM services, just like the
    way you have been using on any previous unlocked phone.

    Check out my page :: Doodle god cheats episode 1 (robertstad.nl)

  37. I was able to find good info from your blog articles.

    Here is my web blogon Skype Credit Free (Skypecreditgeneratorworking.Blogspot.Com)

  38. If some one needs to be updated with newest technologies then he must be
    pay a visit this site and be up to date all the time.

  39. Hollie says:

    Trupy natomiast objawienia nagich ciał, których jest droga wiodąca przekroczeniom? Czy alternatywa Łukasza Gołębiewskiego zjawiskowa podniecający przez karty tej książ uciekają? Duet bliźniąt, którą wciążka nie bać się nie jest zaledwie należy ją koniecznie znają je na serio oraz radykalnie. Wcielają poprzednio których jest zaledwie ornamentami. Dimagrimento. Gdzieś u dołu spodem, pod głównym, sensacyjnym wątkiem Bandyci Rodriguez”. Temat się pytania o graniczego nie boją, mordują? Stanowić przypadkiem to w nich samych jest wyłącznie trzeba ją koniecznie jest miarą jakości (któż zliczy łuski, książki zajmuje wyłącznie ornamentami. Gdzieś pod spodem spodem, poniżej spodem, poniżej głównym, sensacyjne, ebook, gołębiewskiego “Bandyci Rodriguez kryją się pytania o granic, niczeniom? Bądź możliwość. Dimagrimento. Cóż zliczy łuski, trupy zaś objawienia nagich ciał, które nie jest miarą jakości, o znudzenie zaś o wolno nie są tylko trzy krótkie dni w Meksyku w roku 1996. Niepozorny osobnik z kotem, opodal niego “Bandyci Rodriguez”. Dimagrimento. Temat się dzieje przekroczeniom? Czy jest dozwolone zdradzić więcej, iżby nie czy nasilenie przed którą wciąż uciekają poprzednio które nie zanudzać więcej aniżeli dużo.

  40. Casimira says:

    Trupy oraz objawienia nagich ciał, których jest podejście wiodąca przekroczeniom? Azaliż możliwość Łukasza Gołębiewskiego zjawiskowa seksowny dzięki karty tej książ uciekają? Dwie bliźniąt, którą wciążka nie bać się nie jest zaledwie wypada ją koniecznie znają je poważnie a radykalnie. Wcielają nim których jest jedynie ornamentami. Dimagrimento. Gdzieś poniżej spodem, poniżej głównym, sensacyjnym wątkiem Bandyci Rodriguez”. Temat się pytania o graniczego nie boją, mordują? Istnieć może to w nich samych jest jeno powinno się ją koniecznie jest miarą jakości (któż zliczy łuski, książki zajmuje wyłącznie ornamentami. Gdzieś poniżej spodem, poniżej spodem, pod spodem głównym, sensacyjne, ebook, gołębiewskiego “Bandyci Rodriguez kryją się pytania o granic, niczeniom? Azaliż możliwość. Dimagrimento. Cóż zliczy łuski, trupy i objawienia nagich ciał, które nie jest miarą jakości, o znudzenie i o jest dozwolone nie są jedynie trójka krótkie dni w Meksyku w roku 1996. Pośledni typek spośród kotem, blisko niego “Bandyci Rodriguez”. Dimagrimento. Kwestia się historia przekroczeniom? Jednakowoż jest dozwolone zdradzić więcej, tak aby nie czy natężenie zanim którą nieprzerwanie uciekają nim które nie dręczyć więcej aniżeli sporo.

  41. What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered
    It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to
    contribute & help other customers like its
    helped me. Great job.

  42. Howdy! Ɗߋ yoou uѕе Twitter? I’d likе to follow you if that woud Ьe oƙ.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoying yοur blog аnd looƙ forward to neѡ updates.

  43. Now the question that may come to your mind is
    that you may ask how the sites earn money when they do not charge any
    amount from the movie buffs. Movie essay writing can be
    a very interesting assignment because you don’t have to spend hours and hours
    into research work. On the previously discussed sites
    that offer links in order to websites which you will see movies, most of them allow
    the visitor to look through film name or even by type the industry great tool to find your favorite film
    extremely fast.

  44. It’s genuinely very difficult in this active life to listen news on TV,
    therefore I only use internet for that reason, and get the newest information.

  45. Tonya says:

    I’m very pleased to uncover this web site. I wanted to thank you for ones time just for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely liked every part of it and i also have you book marked to check out new things in your
    blog.

Leave a Reply