Bateman Group Hotties in Hoodies

Check out five of our San Francisco staffers – Senior Associate Jen Woods, Account Coordinator Ivy Choi, Senior Associate Kristin Tarr, Associate Candice DeForest and Senior Associate Katrina Dene – modeling the latest “must have” in fashion…. Bateman Group company-branded hoodies!

Take special notice of the discrete Bateman infinity symbol from the logo on the hood… The heather grey flannel is as soft as silk and a perfect fit for the typical body-conscious Bateman Group employee — in other words, tight in all the right places! And just in time for next week’s San Francisco office outing too. Brooklyn office – your hoodies will be arriving on Monday!

Wear them proudly and frequently! Every little bit of branding helps with recruiting…

Bateman Group’s Client Spotlight 8.8.2014

From product announcements to security reports to proclaimed SaaS unicorns, Bateman Group’s clientele have been busy. In recent weeks, we saw companies like Netskope, Invoca, App Annie and AdRoll make their way to the top of tech and business news headlines. In particular, writers at Forbes had a lot to say about our clients, making for a great coverage roundup as we forge into August. We can’t say we’re disappointed with this trend!

Marketing Cloud Challenger Sitecore On The Future Of Personalized Experiences,” Forbes – Forbes contributor John Ellett published a Q&A with Darren Guarnaccia, chief strategy officer at Sitecore. Darren offers his perspective on the importance of delivering personalized customer experiences and the need for an integrated marketing platform.

Uber, Lyft, Airbnb lead top travel, transportation apps in June,” CNET – Donna Tam of CNET published an article on App Annie’s first Travel & Transportation Index, focusing on the data as well as App Annie’s reasoning behind publishing the report.

Five Smart Cybersecurity Moves From Top Security CEOs,” Forbes – In this article, Forbes contributor Peter High spotlights responses from four CEOs of major information security companies, including Ping Identity, about securing information and devices. Ping CEO Andre Durand advises that users put a PIN on their mobile devices to protect against trivial breaches.

Top Five Epic Fails of Enterprise Endpoint Backup,” IT Business Edge – In this slideshow, Code42 outlines five of the most common mistakes and outdated methods associated with protecting endpoint data.

Is this the next SaaS unicorn? Invoca grows 1200% in 3 years by solving Salesforce’s biggest blind spot,” PandoDaily – Michael Carney gives Invoca the ultimate praise in this article stemming from the company’s recent growth surge, calling it “en fuego” and the “next SaaS unicorn.”

Latest Enterprise Application Use Survey Results — More Use, More Risk,” Forbes – Forbes contributor Ben Kepes highlights growing risks in the enterprise cloud, focusing on the latest cloud report by Netskope.

How To Avoid A CMO vs. CIO War,” Forbes – In this article, Joe Lazauskas discusses the CMO-CIO collaboration with Jamie Barnett, vice president of marketing at Netskope, and Adam Berke, president of AdRoll. Lazauskas also highlights findings from last quarter’s Netskope cloud report.

Bateman Group Named 2014 Top Place to Work in PR

It’s my pleasure to share with you the news that Bateman Group has been named one of PR News’ Top Places to Work in PR for 2014. This is the second consecutive year we’ve been honored with this distinction.

According to PR News, this was one of their highest entry years ever and the competition was fierce, so making the list was no easy feat. A full listing of this year’s honorees can be seen here.

In the last two years, Bateman Group has won 15 different industry awards, including Bulldog Media’s All Stars Award for Communications Agency of the Year for 2013 and The Holmes Report’s SABRE Award for Boutique Agency of the Year for 2014.  While every award win is meaningful to us, the awards that recognize our unique and progressive workplace culture are especially sweet.

Q&A with Matt Coolidge: Bringing the cool to PR

MCheadshot (1)x.jpgMatt Coolidge came to Bateman Group a couple of months ago with a love for PR, travel and Thai food. He brings not only a unique and devoted work ethic to the team, but also a sense of humor that is guaranteed to turn any frown upside down (a turn of phrase guaranteed to generate an eye roll given his dry sense of humor). As an account manager, Matt is a very busy man but we were curious to know more. He took the time this week to sit down and talk about his story.

How did you become interested in PR?

I went to college in Washington, D.C. with the intention of getting into politics. But, after spending four years there, I learned that I actually wanted nothing to do with politics. I had worked at a small lobbying firm in D.C. that focused on incredibly progressive, feel-good industries like coal and insecticides. It was tough because when I graduated college, the economic climate was pretty bad; while I enjoyed lobbying in theory, I was less than enthused with the areas I was working on and it still wasn’t a full time position to boot. So, I made the incredibly responsible decision to move out to San Francisco with a friend on a whim. There weren’t a whole lot of lobbying jobs available, but, since PR and lobbying have some similarities, I was able to catch on as an intern at a local PR firm. And the rest is history.

What made you chose Bateman Group? What’s your impression of the company thus far?

Bateman has a tendency to make unconventional hires, which I think lends to more creativity in overall approach — not to mention an extremely intelligent office lacking groupthink mentality. That’s one — the other is the fact that it’s a boutique agency with an extremely low churn rate in terms of both client roster and employees; it’s a great business model, and you have easy access to the most senior levels of management. Basically, your voice is always going to be heard, and it’s the antithesis of the overly bureaucratic model you tend to find at larger agencies which is just plain awful and doesn’t help with career development at all.

Tell me about what you do at Bateman Group. What is your favorite part about working in PR?

I work closely with the account teams and help to bridge the gap between our internal teams and clients. Sometimes it can feel like you’re the middle man because it’s a job of making sure that everyone stays happy and on the same page in terms of the larger account strategy. I really love my job because I have the privilege of working at a great agency with incredibly talented people. That always makes a big difference. Working with such an intelligent, motivated group really drives everybody to do their best work and push beyond their perceived comfort zones. One of the best parts of working in PR is the relationships you make and the people you meet along the way. So it’s great to have the opportunity to work with this group.

What do you like best about living in NYC?

You’d be surprised how nice everybody is on the subway at rush hour every morning. You can strike up a conversation about anything and everything… Kidding! It’s a nightmare, as you’d expect (shout out to the F train!). Really though, I love living in New York. It’s got an energy about it that’s unlike anywhere else I’ve ever visited – but I really miss the burritos at the taco trucks in San Francisco. There’s never a huge line and they’re cheap as hell.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about travel, learning new languages and meeting new people. I speak Arabic and my goal is to keep working at it until I’m totally fluent. My major in college was Middle Eastern studies, so I still read all of these super geeky and obscure foreign affairs blogs. I’ve also gotten into rock climbing recently; I guess you’d call that one a budding passion.

What is the best dish you can cook?

I really like to cook Thai food. I make a delicious Khao soi, which is like a curry-based noodle soup with chicken. I always find myself perusing the stalls at random Thai markets in Brooklyn looking for good ingredients—much to the bemusement of all of the little old ladies that are there.

What countries have you traveled to?

Before I started at Bateman Group, I spent six months traveling around China, Southeast Asia and India. It was a great time that yielded many stories (including plenty of notable bouts with food poisoning). I’ve also spent time in the Middle East, Europe and Central America. I want to plan my next big trip around Ethiopia; I’ve always wanted to go there for some reason.

What advice can you offer to aspiring PR professionals?

Be creative and don’t initially marry your goals to pursuing a career in PR. Some of the most successful people in PR come from really eclectic backgrounds. Having lots of different skillsets can really help you stand out in PR. If you’re a smart person that can write, be creative and think outside the box, it’s definitely a career avenue to consider – it doesn’t matter if you weren’t a comms major. You should also find a mentor as early in your career as possible, and work to identify and pursue goals with him or her. Avoid tying yourself entirely to one industry early in your career. Work on developing a broad expertise and seeing what sticks. Also, learn to bill by the hour. By the way, that’ll be six hundred and seventy-two dollars…

July Recap: Got $10 Billion? Buy CNN… Or Snapchat

July bombarded us with world events too depressing to recap. In the midst of this madness, we banded together and watched soccer, wishing we could be best friends with Tim Howard as he made a record-setting 16 saves in a single game. Otherwise, we didn’t have much to cheer about.

During this dearth of good news, Jon Stewart decided we should take over America’s first 24-hour cable news network. Stewart launched a $10 billion Kickstarter campaign to buy CNN, “confident that we can do better.”  By the miracle of crowdfunding, “CNN will belong to the people.” Stewart is asking viewers to submit their ideas to LetsBuyCNN.com. New slogans include, “CNN: if you’re watching this, your flight’s been canceled.” Take that, Rupert.

The peer-to-peer platform pranks don’t end there. Two brothers, Maksym and Denys Pashanin, squeezed $40,000 out of Kickstarter donors before taking their sharing economy shenanigans one step further. The brothers have been squatting in an Airbnb rental in Palm Springs since May, invoking California renter’s rights. Both Airbnb and Kickstarter have banned the brothers, but not before Maksym defiantly commented about his squatting experience on Kickstarter. “10/10, would squat again,” he wrote.

Squatting, swindling bros aren’t the only ones making money. LinkedIn announced its Q2 earnings and reported a 47% year-over-year increase in revenue. While 60 percent of Q2 revenue was driven by LinkedIn “talent solutions” products, which are aimed at helping recruiters attract new hires, the company is also investing in its professional publishing platform and sponsored updates. LinkedIn recently announced a new product called “Sales Navigator” that connects salespeople and buyers and is targeted at enterprise customers.

Like LinkedIn, Twitter’s stock soared after the company’s Q2 earnings call, during which it reported $312 million in revenue. What’s more, Twitter announced that a staggering 81% of its ad revenue comes from mobile advertising. #MobileFTW.

Facebook also announced rising profits driven by mobile ads, with 62% of its ad revenue driven by mobile. Shortly following Q2 earnings, Facebook took a step toward achieving its goal of expanding Internet access. The company announced a new app for Internet.org, a partnership with other tech companies to bring wireless access to developing parts of the world. The Internet.org app is currently available in Zambia — though Facebook plans to bring the app to other countries in the near future. The app allows users to access certain services (including Facebook) via a local wireless carrier.

Meanwhile, Instagram launched a slightly less altruistic app called Bolt, which is eerily similar to Snapchat. Currently available in limited countries, Bolt allows users to share fast-disappearing photos and videos with their friends. Despite this new competition — and some questionable judgment demonstrated by CEO Evan Spiegal in the recent past — Snapchat seems to be doing just fine. A new round from Alibaba could value Snapchat at a whopping $10 billion.

Do people just look at pictures? OkCupid thinks so, according to studies conducted on its users. The online dating website has been getting flak for this experimentation, which involved intentionally mismatching people to analyze their reactions. A blog post by co-founder Christian Rudder claimed no wrongdoing, asserting “that’s how websites work”.

We noticed recently that people didn’t like it when Facebook “experimented” with their news feed. Even the FTC is getting involved. But guess what, everybody: if you use the Internet, you’re the subject of hundreds of experiments at any given time, on every site. That’s how websites work.

In more serious breaches of trust, Canadian officials claimed that Chinese hackers broke into a network for the National Research Council, though Beijing has denied the allegations. Is high-tech espionage such a threat that government officials need to eschew email altogether? Some politicians in Germany think so. Patrick Sensburg, the head of the NSA inquiry in Germany, claims that the government has considered a return to manual typewriters for sensitive documents.

Reverting to typewriters won’t protect you from actual theft, however. Earlier this month, 20 criminals dressed as Samsung employees, entered a factory in Brazil and stole an estimated $6.5 million worth of tablets, smartphones and notebooks. No one was hurt, and the thieves remain at large.

If you need something to cheer you up as more bad news crawls across the CNN ticker, don’t read up on cyber-security — or the physical security of hardware factories, for that matter. Instead, consider investing in some tech shares. And if that doesn’t work, you could always indulge in a guilty pleasure. We’re excited for Sharknado 2, the SyFy sequel that promises a cyclone of carnivores, chainsaws and Tara Reid — this time taking a bite out of New York City. Even if the cinematic value disappoints, you’ll be able to keep up with the Twitter banter.

Q&A with Katrina Dene, Intern Turned PR Pro

What do you do at Bateman Group?

I’m a senior associate at Bateman Group supporting enterprise, mobile and security accounts.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

What I love most about my job is that every day is different, and every day is an opportunity to learn. I truly believe that each of my clients is disrupting their respective industries and appreciate the opportunity to work with people who are truly innovative (although I know that word is grossly over-used in this industry). That’s what excites me about coming to work every day. I also love working with everyone here at the agency. The people at Bateman are amazing, and together we are unstoppable!

How did you first get into PR?

I was giving a speech right after graduating from high school, and someone came up to me after and offered me a job. Like any 18 year old kid, I jumped at the chance to be a marketing intern for one of the largest app publishers in the world (at the time looking to launch in America). When the summer was over, I left for the University of Oregon to pursue my intended sports journalism degree. Six months later, my boss emailed me about being a marketing intern again for his new company. However, I had since decided to take a PR class out of curiosity and found that PR was a perfect balance between marketing and journalism. So my boss convinced Bateman Group to let me tag around for a summer, and I never left.

What 5 adjectives would you use to describe Bateman’s company culture?

Smart, goofy, diverse, driven, strategic.

Pick two celebrities to be your parents.

I would pick Jessica Alba to be my mom because she is beautiful and an amazing role model. For my dad, I would choose Jimmy Fallon because I can always use a good laugh.

What kitchen utensil would you be and why?

I would be a spork because while it may look a little odd, the spork is the scrappiest of utensils.

If you could be any character in fiction, who would you be and why?

I would be Hermione Granger, because she is smart and ambitious, and uses her powers for good.

What song best describes your work ethic?

“Don’t Stop Believin” by Journey!

What is the last book you read?

Mindy Kaling’s book, “Is everyone hanging out without me?”