Bateman Group Seeking Talent + Vibe Manager

We’re looking for an outstanding individual to help us recruit and retain employees, and support the positive environment and unique culture in our fast growing company. The full time Talent and Vibe Manager will work in the Bateman Group’s San Francisco office, supporting a staff of 30+, located in San Francisco and New York.

As Talent and Vibe Manager, you will be instrumental in sourcing new recruits through traditional and non-traditional channels, assisting them once they are hired, and helping to foster Bateman Group’s fun and collaborative work environment. We have an exceptionally high employee retention rate (turnover is less than five percent), and we want to keep it that way. Your job will be to help us do that through conceptualizing and producing innovative events and branded experiences for staff, while attracting rock star candidates as openings arise. We are looking for an organized, self-starter who thinks outside the box, and would really appreciate having “Vibe” in a job title.

Responsibilities:

1) Recruiting

You will tap your personal and social networks, as well as use online tools (like LinkedIn and SmartRecruiters) to recruit top PR talent for Bateman Group’s San Francisco and New York offices, and manage all stages of the recruitment process, including interview scheduling, gathering feedback, candidate follow-up, etc.

2) New Employee Onboarding

You will assist the Operations Manager with onboarding logistics, such as ordering new desk set-ups, office supplies, computers and phones to ensure all new employees feel welcome and well-cared for.

3) Managing Vibe Squad Programs and Budgets

You will play a key role in nurturing our culture by producing:

  • Monthly Birthday Celebrations and Happy Hours
  • Brown Bag Professional Development Lunches
  • Quarterly Agency Outings
  • Healthy Office options (including stocking the kitchen with a variety of healthy snacks, and researching/coordinating healthy office activities, such as lunch-time yoga, chair massages, etc.)
  • Agency parties
  • Fill in the Blank, really!

4) Marketing

You will use your organizational skills to produce industry Bateman Group branded events, including thought leader panels featuring national journalists, venture capitalists and entrepreneurs. Responsibilities include:

  • Producing and distributing branded invitations, maintaining the contacts database, securing venues, coordinating catering, producing event collateral, and managing event set up and break down.
  • Supporting the marketing team

Requirements:

  • Proven track record of recruiting within a fast growing marketing organization
  • Human resource experience preferred (recent PR/marketing agency client-service experience strongly considered if you don’t have traditional HR experience)
  • Event planning experience
  • Ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet deadlines with minimal oversight
  • Super-human problem-solving abilities
  • Excellent communication skills
  • A love for small and fast growth company environments
  • Propensity toward extroversion
  • A wicked sense of humor not required, but would be appreciated
  • Undergraduate degree

Contact hr@bateman-group.com if you are interested.

Bateman & Braintree Win Bulldog Media Gold!

Late last week, Bulldog Reporter announced the winners of their 2014 Bulldog Awards for Excellence in Media Relations and once again Bateman Group won the top prize. This year, we received the Gold for Best Technology Campaign Business for our work with Chicago-based mobile payments client, Braintree.

The award submission, entitled “Branding Braintree: Bringing Mobile Commerce Innovator to the World Stage,” serves as a powerful case study on the power of strategic communications to build positive momentum for a company and increase valuation in a way no other marketing function even comes close. When we started working with Braintree about a year ago, they were looking to increase awareness of the company beyond the savvy mobile app developer community. Fighting for mindshare in the mobile payments market against PayPal, the quintessential 800 lbs. gorilla, and other payment start-ups, might seem like an insurmountable challenge. Being armed with a better product, a visionary CEO, a smart internal marketing team, lots of developer goodwill and a PR firm that cares passionately about your success makes it possible.

Congratulations to Bill Ready, Tracey Weinberg, Lisa Kornblatt and the rest of the team at Braintree and Venmo and to the bi-coastal Braintree account team at Bateman, namely Paula Cavagnaro, Shannon Hutto, Grace Nasri, Scott Beaver, Elissa Davis and Tyler Perry for this award-winning work. A detailed success story on our work with Braintree can be found here and a full listing of 2014 Bulldog Media Award winners can be seen here.

Bateman Group by the Numbers

“All work, no play is the best,” said no one ever.

Part of the fun of working at the 2013 Communications Agency of the Year is getting great results for our clients. The other part is quarterly beirut tournaments (wrongly referred to as beer pong on the West Coast), March Madness brackets, media happy hours, bowling nights, Iron Chef competitions, summer outings, volunteer activities and daily GIF wars. Oh, is that just us? In all seriousness, why do something everyday if it isn’t fun? Our answer is: we wouldn’t.

Whether it be gathering around a TV to watch a client on Bloomberg West or participating in a little trash talking during our bi-coastal halloween costume contest, we are a true team – from coast to coast. A combination of exceptional intellectual prowess and good, (mostly) clean, fun is the secret ingredient that leads to one of the best employee retention rates in the industry.

In honor of our upcoming 10th Anniversary celebration this Thursday, March 27 from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. PDT at The Penthouse on the 11th floor of the Hamm’s Building at 1550 Bryant Street in San Francisco, we surveyed the Bateman Group staff about everything from top tech idols and favorite industry event to languages spoken and countries visited. The results may surprise you. Take a look below to learn more about us, and email rockstars@bateman-group.com if you want to join our group!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bateman Group’s Client Spotlight 3.21.14

Mobile coverage continues to be hot, nearly a month after Mobile World Congress. The New York Times published an article about the surge in messaging apps and quoted the CEO of app analytics expert App Annie and Braintree was listed among five mobile-payment option companies in VentureBeat. Also, ZDNet wrote a customer study about how LightSpeed’s retail management system helped sports merchant Mount Everest, and Animoto had its first ever report and infographic in Search Engine Watch.

For Free Texting Apps, the Market is Far From Conquered,” The New York Times – In an article about messaging apps, New York Times reporter Brian Chen highlighted the growth of messaging apps in different parts of the world. To support this, he referenced App Annie’s observation on the surge of messaging app downloads after the WhatsApp deal and quoted Bertrand Schmitt, App Annie CEO.

5 ways to succeed at mobile payments without really trying,” VentureBeat - This article outlines five mobile-payment options companies can use to set up successful payments for your company. One of those highlighted was Braintree.

How LightSpeed helps small ski and snowboard retailer outrace rivals,” ZDNet - LightSpeed customer Mount Everest shares how the business leveraged LightSpeed’s retail management system to better compete in a multichannel environment.

Video Helps Persuade 73% of People to Buy a Product or Service [Survey],” Search Engine Watch – In this interview, Greg Jarboe of Search Engine Watch picked the brain of Animoto CEO and co-founder Brad Jefferson on the company’s newest consumer study. Animoto’s Online and Mobile Video Study surveyed more than 1,000 U.S. consumers to identify how video has a positive impact on purchase decisions and drives brand engagement.

BATEMAN GROUP’S CLIENT SPOTLIGHT 3.7.14

Sunlight lingers longer and longer as pollen kissed winds descend upon lands beleaguered by a preternaturally biting winter. Take a moment to savor this natural respite as you reflect upon times gone by, and upon completion, check out the latest Bateman client updates. A glimpse at the roundup:  Get Satisfaction was highlighted by Forbes as one of the leading companies transforming future workplaces. By harnessing the wisdom of customer communities, businesses have one of the most powerful and effective tools for support, marketing and development. Money never sleeps so neither do hackers - Qualys CTO Wolfgang Kandek gave his perspective in TechCrunch on the security vulnerabilities opening up for the still-ubiquitous Windows XP, an operating system introduced nearly 13 years ago.

10 New Ideas And Products That Will Change Business As Usual In 2014,” Forbes -  In a review of disruptive innovations in business, Forbes Contributor Mark Fidelman highlighted a handful of technologies and ideas that would reshape workplaces in  the future. Our favorite community platform, Get Satisfaction, found its way on the list as a groundbreaking solution for harnessing the crowd to solve customer issues easily and effectively.

Enterprise Cloud Economy Driven by 10 Market Forces in 2014,” eWeek – In this slideshow, Simon Aspinall, chief of vertical markets, strategy and marketing at Virtustream, shared his predictions for top trends driving the enterprise cloud market in 2014.

Netskope Survey Reveals Lack of Cloud Apps Policy Awareness,” Talkin’ Cloud -  Writer Chris Talbot covered results of Netskope’s RSA survey that revealed 60 percent of the IT security attendees are either unaware of their companies’ cloud apps policies or are certain they don’t exist. As we move into an increasingly cloud-powered future, lack of safety protocols within many companies’ cloud app policies will likely expose them to security lapses in the not-too-distant-future.

Window XP’s Lingering and Troubling Market Share,” TechCrunch – TechCrunch included Qualys CTO Wolfgang Kandek’s commentary in its coverage of the end of Windows XP. Kandek said that when Microsoft ends updates and support for Windows XP it will make a direct attack route for cybercriminals.

Google Play’s game-related revenues are growing twice as fast as iOS,” VentureBeat - VentureBeat covered App Annie’s joint report with IDC revealing that the Android app store quadrupled its game-related revenue from the fourth quarter of 2012 to the same period in 2013. The article also lists the top-grossing apps overall for both Google Play and iOS worldwide in 2013.

In the shadow of the NSA scandal, big data, mobile and cloud are the runaway hits of RSA 2014

Not the most popular booth at RSA this year.

I was asked to give my perspective on what the trends at RSA Conference 2014 last week portend for marketing and communications the rest of the year. You may not like what I have to say, because you’ve heard it before, well, some of it.

Big Data, BYOD and Cloud — bygone buzzwords in some circles — fundamentally represent the direction the security industry is going. It’s a version of Moore’s Law, but related to people sharing information, not processing power. And all have security considerations that RSA vendors are more than happy to address.

There were tons of mobile security products and services to keep hackers out and data in and CIOs happy. People in general understand the risks with desktop computers, but they don’t realize that the corporate data they just looked at on their iPhone could be at risk. A survey conducted this week by mobile app security provider Netskope found that 60 percent of the RSA attendees are either unaware of their companies’ cloud apps policies or think they don’t exist. We aren’t going to stop bringing phones to work and using Gmail on them when Outlook is down. Making it easy for people to use their mobile devices the way they want without putting their employers at risk is going to be a basic requirement for all mobile-related software and services going forward.

Companies are running for the cloud so fast that I almost feel sorry for the legacy software getting left behind like last night’s cheese pizza. A year ago NSA surveillance revelations had some people worried that geopolitical privacy concerns would cast a pall on the cloud provider industry. Those concerns have been washed away, but companies are still addressing the nasty data breach problem that plagues corporate America (and the government, for that matter).

Cloud, cloud and more cloud

One of the more anticipated sessions -- with a line out the door -- was the Cloud security panel featuring Bruce Schneier, Eran Feigenbaum, Director of Security at Google Apps, Wade Baker of Verizon, and Bret Arsenault, CISO of Microsoft.

In a panel entitled “Is the Cloud Really More Secure Than On-Premise,” Google and Microsoft security execs didn’t assume competitive stances, as many would have assumed. They agreed — and security gadfly Bruce Schneier joined the chorus — that the cloud is safe and major cloud providers offer greater security than individual organizations do.

Although the NSA surveillance scandal didn’t kill the cloud, it did end up shaking up the RSA Conference this year. Investigative reporter Joe Menn of Reuters reported late last year that the NSA paid RSA, the security division of EMC, to put a back door in its crypto. The controversy sparked a boycott of RSA by some prominent speakers, the creation of a counter-conference, dubbed TrustyCon, and protests outside the RSA Conference this week. The NSA scandal was THE news of the show, and will continue to be a major story for years to come. Which brings me to big data.

The problem — or opportunity, depending on how you want to look at it — of figuring out how to analyze and make use of all the data devices and applications are gathering from all of our touchpoints to the Internet was an underlying theme at the RSA Conference this year. So much so, that the organizers added a new “Analysis and Forensics” track. This covered everything from following the crumbs of hackers who have stolen data to using real-time monitoring and analysis of data to keep corporations alert to attacks.

It will be interesting to see how big TrustyCon is a year from now as I doubt the NSA leaks are over. But it’s a given that cloud and mobile will continue to dominate the security landscape for the foreseeable future, and that will only ensure that Big Data gets even bigger.

(This article was first published on The Holmes Report.)